News Update :

Men, Women and Social Networking Data

Friday, May 23, 2008

Late yesterday afternoon a headline on this subject caught my attention. It must say something about the rapidity of change and news in this space that this morning I can’t find it on either of the sites where I think I saw it! Fortunately, I used the time-honored tactic of making a cryptic note on a sticky pad and it led me back to the site Rapleaf.

I was looking for the data from their social media study, but on the way I took a small detour. Who can resist looking up their own email address to see what’s out there. The site knows correctly that I belong to Facebook and LinkedIn. It also has my Amazon Wish List—wonder how they got that? The data on my profile all came from MySpace (try it yourself, and you’ll see). I thought I had cancelled that account a long time ago. The link was connected to my very minimal profile on MySpace that still exists. I looked up the directions and tried to cancel the account—we’ll see.
Having satisfied my curiosity, I looked for the study. It’s not terribly new having been released in November 2007. It’s also not comprehensive; it covers only social networks on Google’s Open Social platform. Still, it’s very interesting. I just choose to take headlines from various articles on it; that gives you the links:

•The Social Media Gender Gap (Business Week, May 18, 2008)
Women ‘Lead the Way” in Social Networking (UK)
Women ‘Hold Down the Fort’ of Social Networking (UK)
Women ‘Outpacing Men’ on Social Media (UK)
More Men are Uber Connectors
Men More Likely to Use Social Networking for Business
Women Make More Friends on Social Networks
Women Like to Socialize But Men Are All Business on Social Networks
Men and Women Differ on Social Networks

Paints an interesting picture, even if you just read the headlines! But there’s more. They offer business services that, according to the site:



Analyze the social web footprint of your consumers to effectively plan online ad campaigns and engage with your consumers across social networks.




Discover the demographics of your customer base, including age and gender groups across social sites.





Identify influencers and friend groups among your consumers, to drive new referrals and viral marketing.


Yes, there are privacy issues. But it gives marketers who want to reach users of social networks not only a lot to think about, but a tool that may help them connect with networkers.
Share this Article on :

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© Copyright social media marketing 2012 | Social Media Optimization, Beginner's Guide 2010 -2011 | Design by social-media-marketing-2012 | Published by social-media-marketing-2012 | Powered by Blogger.com.